guys, please–if you live on or near the MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), stay inside, lock your doors, be safe. confirmed reports of an active shooter on campus.
There is another virus thing going around tumblr where it says something about free starbucks, DO NOT CLICK IT OR GO ON ANYONE WHO IS INFECTED’S BLOG, I went on their blog and it filled up my queue with spam, IF YOU SEE THIS ON YOUR DASH, STAY AWAY. Reblog to the spread the word please!
MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR QUEUE GUYS IT CAN AUTOMATICALLY POST UP TO 30 SPAMMING POSTS WITHOUT YOU KNOWING
I’ve seen a lot of misinformation going around about CAS, the Copyright Alert System, AKA the Six Strikes system. Hopefully this will clear things up.
What CAS isn’t:
- CAS is not a law. It is not SOPA or CISPA. It does not directly involve law enforcement agencies.
- CAS cannot see the files already on your hard drive.
- CAS cannot directly monitor your internet traffic.
- CAS does not give a flying fuck about your reaction gifs, manips, fanfiction, etc.
- Rightsholders cannot directly see your personal information such as name and address without getting a subpoena. They must go through your ISP, who already has that information connected to your IP because you pay them.
What CAS is:
- CAS is a partnership between major rightsholders such as the MPAA and RIAA, among others, with major American ISPs AT&T, Cablevision, Verizon, Comcast, and Time Warner Cable.
- The copyright holders monitor major public bittorrent trackers. They get the IPs of users downloading infringing files, and notify their ISPs.
- The ISP then steps in to give users warnings. This begins with emails and phone calls, but quickly escalates to forcing you to watch copyright propaganda, blocking your access to certain sites, and eventually capping your internet speeds or restricting your internet access entirely.
- There is an appeals process, which must be done within 14 days of the warning and costs $35 per appeal.
- For repeat infringers, the copyright holders may seek legal action. To do this they would need to subpoena your personal information from your ISP. All they have before that is your IP address.
Why this is bad:
- It violates presumption of innocence.
- It sets a precedent for corporate vigilante justice—corporations finding and punishing crime in a manner they see fit.
- It poses a serious threat to internet cafes and libraries that offer public internet access, making vital services less accessible to disadvantaged and impoverished Americans.
- It is a form of censorship.
- It violates the right to privacy.
- We are piratey pirates who like to pirate.
How to not get in trouble:
- Secure your wifi connection, and make sure all members of your household understand what CAS is and how to avoid problems with it.
- If you download copyrighted material, do not use public bittorrent trackers without a VPN. There are multiple alternatives: cyberlockers, Usenet, IRC, FTP, private bittorrent trackers, etc. Avoiding major public torrent sites like The Pirate Bay entirely is the safest way. Downloading material not protected by any of the CAS affiliates is probably relatively safe. (Anime, warez, bookz, etc.) If you must use a public tracker, use a VPN. FYI, Usenet and the good VPNs are not free. The other things mentioned here generally are.
- Google instructions for these things if you don’t know what the fuck I’m talking about.
How to fight CAS:
- There’s some White House petitions: check out this one here and this one over here. The White House has already issued this statement: “[the] agreement is a positive step and consistent with our strategy of encouraging voluntary efforts to strengthen online intellectual property enforcement and with our broader Internet policy principles, emphasizing privacy, free speech, competition and due process.” Since this is not law, government probably isn’t the most effective way to fight it, nor does the government seem likely to take a stance against this, but it can’t hurt to raise as much hell as possible anyway. Sign it, make some noise.
- Call your ISP and voice your displeasure. If at all possible, switch your ISP to one not supporting CAS, and inform both ISPs that this was why you switched. THIS IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE METHOD.
- Pirate anyway. Don’t be stupid and pirate through the channel they’re obviously watching, but don’t slack in your piracy. Show them that these measures only anger their customers and don’t actually do shit to protect copyright.
- Contact the MPAA and RIAA and so forth and tell them you won’t be buying their products until they cease this war on internet piracy. They can have customers or they can treat everyone like criminals, but they can’t have both.
Hopefully we can all stop running around like chickens without heads claiming the police are coming for our reaction gif folders? Yes? Good. Pirate safely, folks.
Well this sucks some major corporate lobbyist ass.
But you can very easily combat your internet speeds being slowed down to dial up dinosaur age simply by installing a VPN. It bounces your internet connection out of the us (as long as you select UK duhh) and you won’t have to worry about this silly CAS tomfoolery. And you will be able to use the BBC iPlayer! Unfortunately this one only lets you have 500 mbs for free, after that it is $5 a month. There are free ones out there but I really don’t trust them. It may be good to just pay the price for security.
SPREAD THE WORD. THIS IS SO FUCKING IMPORTANT. IT LITERALLY MEANS SAVING THE ENTIRE CULTURE OF TUMBLR.
WANT THOSE GIFS FROM TONIGHT’S EPISODE DIRECTLY ON YOUR DASH? IT CAN’T BE DONE WITH THE COPYRIGHT ALERT SYSTEM LOOMING OVER US.
REBLOG REBLOG REBLOG.
luckily i have a local fiber optic internet provider but this shit is fucked
Just read this article and try your best to read as much as you can about this. We don’t need this returning.
guys this isnt a fucking joke reblog this shit
things to remember:
- you are not a burden
- you will not ‘bring others down with you’ if you tell them about your problems or ask for help
- it feels like you’re being crushed under the weight of the world because you are
- but it’s your world
- it’s not as heavy on other people, because even if you mean everything to them, they will never feel your pain and your suffering as keenly or as heavily as you
- so don’t worry about it — they can take it
- just because some people are assholes who abandon you when things get hard, doesn’t mean everyone will
- there are people who care
- What the fuck does my asshole state want me to bring with me to prove I’m not a zombie voter or some shit? Calm your tits and just choose your asshole state from this fucking list, then click on “Commit and Plan to Vote.” They’ll tell you what shit to bring on your quest.
- Who the fuck do I contact if dickshits try to fuck with my voting? Call one of these toll-free hotlines, these badass motherfuckers know their shit and are wise in the ways of giving election day dickshits the fucking smackdown:
1-888-VE-Y-VOTA (en Español)
- Can I get in on that early/absentee voting shit? Fuckin’ how? (Second to fucking last on the menu.)
- Sandy just fucked my shit right up, how the dick am I supposed to vote? (Mainly NYC info)
- When the fuck do I have to get my ass in line by?
- The League of Women Voters are rifuckulously on top of shit, and they’ve got your back as a motherfucking voter, lady or not. Have more questions, such as whether or not you get time off to vote? Then step on over to their nuts-blastingly awesome and user-friendly search tool that lets you look shit up by state and topic.
This list is fucking incomplete—so if you have anything important, how about adding that shit? People out there could fucking use it.
Most importantly, get your ass to the polls and vote, or so help me god I will haunt you in your nightmares.
a friendly tip: if you feel the urge to self harm get an ice cube and hold it in your hand for a while. it relieves the compulsion in a less destructive way. therapists have used this with their patients and i have tried it myself it works pretty well
Tomorrow is what many, including the FBI, are calling “Internet Doomsday”; a day where thousands of computers will be infected by a nasty virus (DNS Malware) and will no longer be able to surf the internet.
To be sure your computer is not infected, click this link: http://dns-ok.us/
If the background is green, your computer is safe. If it is red, your computer is infected.
If your computer is infected, click the following link. MSNBC will show you how to rid the virus from your computer in easy to follow steps: MSNBC Video
IF THIS WASN’T IMPORTANT, I WOULD NOT HAVE PAID TO HAVE THIS PINNED TO YOUR DASHBOARD, WHILE AT THE EXPENSE OF LOSING THOUSANDS OF FOLLOWERS.
AFTER YOU HAVE CHECKED THE STATUS OF YOUR COMPUTER, YOU MAY UNPIN THIS POST SIMPLY BY CLICKING THE RED PIN. YOU’RE WELCOME. NOW REBLOG THIS POST SO YOUR FOLLOWERS KNOW.
DNS Changer Working Group: http://www.dcwg.org/
Afraid to click the links I provided? Simply search DNSChanger on Wired, Reuters, The Associated Press, Yahoo News, Fox News, MSNBC, ABC News, McAfee, Norton, PC World, the FBI’s official website, etc. to verify this threat is legitimate. This will take place at 12:01am tomorrow morning.